Her Majesty's Lord-
Lieutenant of Cheshire
As Lord-Lieutenant my duties range from arranging Royal Visits to the County to presenting medals and awards on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen. I also encourage good nominations for Honours, be it a personal Honour or for The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service and for The Queen’s Award for Enterprise.
I am Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Justices of the Peace and Honorary Colonel of the Cheshire Army Cadets.
In addition, I see my role as a bridge-builder and facilitator, particularly in the following ways:
- Connecting Businesses with the Voluntary Sector
One of my most important projects is to act as a bridge between Cheshire businesses and Cheshire charities. Cheshire Connect for example gives business help to hundreds of charities annually. I would be delighted to hear from any business who would like to help the community particularly by providing the skills needed by charities, including marketing, I.T., P.R., finance, legal, etc.
- Working with Local Authorities
The Cheshire Lieutenancy covers the ceremonial county of Cheshire ie the boroughs of Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire East, Warrington and Halton. I liaise closely with all four local authorities particularly in the work they do with the voluntary sector.
- Ambassador for Cheshire
One of the Lieutenancy’s main roles is to be an ambassador for all things Cheshire – ranging from promoting rural communities to supporting the Cheshire and Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership (L.E.P.) – and being an ambassador for Cheshire business.
- Making the Monarchy Relevant at the Beginning of the 21st Century
The Lieutenancy represents Her Majesty the Queen and the Royal Family in Cheshire. As such, everything it does aims to add value to the local community, mirroring the good which the Monarchy does for the nation. In particular, the Lieutenancy is actively involved in supporting numerous Cheshire charities in every area of voluntary endeavour. Some of the charities that I am personally involved in are:
- ABF The Soldier Charity –Cheshire East (President)
- Active Cheshire (Patron)
- Army, Air and Sea Cadets
- Bridge Community Farms
- Cheshire Agricultural Society / Cheshire Show (Deputy President)
- Cheshire Business Leaders
- Cheshire Childbirth Appeal (Patron)
- Cheshire Commonwealth Association (President)
- Cheshire Community Foundation (President)
- Cheshire Connect (Chairman)
- Cheshire County Cricket Club (Patron)
- Cheshire Young Carers (President)
- Cheshire, Merseyside and Shropshire Blood Bikes (Patron)
- Chester Cathedral (Chairman of Council
- East Cheshire Hospice (President)
- Friends of Knutsford Heritage Centre (Honorary Member)
- NeuroMuscular Centre, Winsford (Patron)
- RFCA Northwest (President)
- Royal British Legion (Member)
- St John Ambulance
- Stick’n’Step (Patron)
- University of Chester (Member of Council)
- Vision Support (President)
- Warrington Youth Club(President)
- Youth Federation for Cheshire, Halton and Wirral (President)
Duties of a Lord-Lieutenant
The main roles of the post of Lord-Lieutenant are:
- Making the arrangements for, and escorting, members of the Royal Family during their engagements in Cheshire
- Representing Her Majesty The Queen in presenting certain Honours, medals and awards and in carrying out a variety of duties locally connected with the Armed Forces
- Encouraging local nominations for Honours, for The Queens Award for Voluntary Service, The Queen’s Award for Enterprise and invitations to the Buckingham Palace Garden Parties,
- Leading the local Magistracy as Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Justices of the Peace.
- Supporting and promoting a wide range of local voluntary civic and social activity and supporting local businesses.